Director, Roger Gomm Limited. 2012-present
Advisor, Consultant, Trainer in the areas of corporate resilience, security, crises and emergency management, business continuity, leadership and decision making.
- Designed and delivered a range of tactical and strategic leadership workshops and exercises to validate capability for Transport for London (TfL), Blackburn County Council and NHS Camden & Islington
- Delivered security plan for the Royal opening of Football Association (FA) training facility in 2012
- Designed and delivered Civil Protection training to the British Red Cross
- Delivered critical incident training to UK Border Force and Immigration Service
- Advisor to Qatar National Security and Resilience Capability Programme as part of security preparations and planning for FIFA 2022 World Cup
- Commentator for Sky News and BBC Current Affairs Team on policing, security and emergency procedures
- Developed and delivered security planning and awareness course for Abu Dhabi Police
- Supporting UK Cabinet Office and British Standards Institute in the development of British Standard Crisis Management - Guidance and good practice (BS11200)
- Addressed the European Union Security Symposium on ‘Leadership in crisis management’.
- Planned and delivered a testing strategic multi-agency exercise for the City of London Corporation
- Delivered security awareness training programme for small and medium enterprises
- Led an International Policing Seminar and Workshop on “civil rights and civil security” in Germany.
- Published articles in Crisis Response Journal, City Security Magazine and Alert
- Advised the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) on security planning for the Lebanese Election project
- Presented on the risk and impact of civil disorder to organisations in support of the City of London Corporation business resilience planning programme.
- Delivered key note address at the International Police Association (IPA) Forum for Global Anti-Terrorism in Macau, China. The areas covered included: what is terrorism; what motivates terrorists; the terrorist strategy and do we understand what they want to achieve; how the current threat has developed and evolved; government strategy; and advice to business and the public, which included Run Hide Tell and dynamic lockdown. The sessions generated much debate and questions.
Associate Lecturer, Cabinet Office Emergency Planning College
- Deliver strategic (Gold) and tactical (Silver) emergency and crisis management training to public and private sector from UK and overseas, including United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Designed and delivered two-week course for high ranking students from Guangdong Province, China to enable them to examine UK emergency response, BCM, recovery framework and concept of operations
- Organisational training needs analysis in Ukraine to support crisis and emergency management. Designed and delivered several workshops including: National Risk Assessment; Protecting Critical National Infrastructure; Government Level Crisis Management (i.e. COBR); Responding to Terrorism; and the principles of Integrated Emergency Management. The overall approach to the series of workshops is to compare and contrast Ukraine and UK Principles, Practices, Procedures, Processes, and Functions in order to support the professional development of Ukrainian practitioners in their approach to integrated crisis and emergency management.
Associate Tutor, College of Policing
- Deliver Leadership, Management and Operational Command training to UK and overseas students including China and United Arab Emirates.
- Designed and delivered Safety and Secuirty of Sporting Events course in Qatar. The aim was to provide the participants with knowledge and capability to enable them to manage a safety and security risk assessment, and develop a plan for sports events. A very practical course which was very well recieved.
- Designed and delivered two weeks ‘operations’ module of Strategic Command Course in Rwanda for senior officers from SE Africa 2012-17. Subjects include: Strategic Risk Managment; Command Structure (Gold/Strategic, Silver/Tactical, Bronze/Operational); Situational Awareness; Strategy/Direction; Decision Making; Recording Decsions; and Terrorism.
Visiting Lecturer at St Andrews, Portsmouth, Christ Church, and Huddersfield Universities
- Deliver practical workshop for students studying emergency, disaster and crisis management, terrorism and public order.
Vice Chair and Head of Training and Development, Institute of Civil Protection & Emergency Management (ICPEM)
- Executive Council member responsible for bringing together educators, academics and professionals, and arranging support to projects in matters affecting civil protection at all levels.
Editorial Advisory Panel for Crisis Response Journal
- Security and Terrorism Correspondent for the journal
- Articles published in Crisis Response Journal 9:1 Public Order Policing, 10:2 'The Enduring Threat from Terrorism' and 9:3 'A hat-Trick of terrorist attacks'
- View my blogs at https://www.crisis-response.com/
Advisor to GLA - London Resilience Team as part of the Academic and Operational Reference Group
- Provide scrutiny and advice on London’s preparedness, including exercises and training.